Hemp (Cannabis sativa) is a species in the Cannabis genus of plants but is different from the marijuana plant. All plants in the Cannabis genus contain THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), but hemp must contain less than 0.3% THC removing any psychoactive properties from this plant. Hemp also contains large amounts of CBD (cannabidiol). It is one of many different cannabinoids found in the Cannabis genus of plants and other plants such as rosemary and echinacea. There are many benefits of hemp CBD applications, but first let’s explore how hemp CBD works.
How Does Hemp CBD Work?
It's all about the Endocannabinoid System (ES). The ES is a key player in supporting balance in the body and maintaining health.
There are two types of cannabinoid receptors in your body:
- CB1 receptors - found mostly in the brain and central nervous system (CNS)
- CB2 receptors - found throughout the rest of the body in organs, glands, and the immune system
Your body produces endocannabinoids and these interact with cannabinoid receptors throughout your body. CBD oil works by indirectly impacting the various receptors, causing some sort of reaction. Cannabinoids are found in various other plants but in significantly lower amounts than in the Cannabis genus of plants.
What are the Benefits of Topical Hemp CBD?
- Skin Health - Hemp extracts contain essential fatty acids that moisturize and nourish dry and itchy skin. Hemp also contains numerous vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorous, and iron. These vitamins and minerals support normal healthy collagen and elastin production.
- Joint Health - Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA) is an omega 6 fatty acid found in hemp oil. GLA has been shown to reduce inflammation and increase joint mobility.
- Stress Reduction - Along with omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, hemp extracts contains B vitamins and magnesium that are nutrients essential for balancing mood. Serotonin receptors in the brain require these nutrients to function properly making hemp CBD a beneficial way to support stress reduction.
Topical applications of Hemp CBD are convenient ways to benefit from the extracts. The Wise Woman Herbals® Hemp CBD topicals are full-spectrum and extracted in food-grade olive oil.