Top 5 Men's Health Supplements for Men's Health Month
June is Men’s Health Month, which is the perfect opportunity to take a minute to remind yourselves of the importance of proper diet and lifestyle for overall wellness.
If you’ve been putting your health on the back burner, now is an excellent time to refocus and celebrate your body by getting in some exercise like taking a walk in nature, hitting the gym or going for a run, eating whole nutrient-dense foods and making sure you are supporting your body with the right supplements and herbs.
Men’s Health Awareness
According to the CDC, men in the U.S. live five years less than women and die at higher rates from the three leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, and unintentional injuries.
Rates of prostate cancer, one of the most common cancers affecting men, have risen in the last few years with an estimated 3,245,430 men living with prostate cancer in the U.S. in 2018. Although the 5-year survival rate is around 97.5%, there’s a lot you can do nutritionally and supplementally to help reduce your risk of developing prostate cancer.
For example, reducing alcohol consumption, quitting smoking, managing stress levels, exercising more regularly and eating a nutrient-dense whole foods diet can help improve longevity and vitality. There’s also something to be said for using natural supplements and herbal remedies to help boost men’s immune systems and promote healthy prostate function.
Best Supplements for Men’s Health
We take a holistic approach to health at Wise Woman Herbals, relying on the ancient herbal wisdom of botanical supplements to improve your quality of life. Here are our five favorite herbal supplements to support men’s health.
PSA Capsules contain a blend of adaptogenic herbs like reishi, baikal skullcap, rabdosia, Tienchi ginseng, isatis, chrysanthemum, licorice and saw palmetto that support normal healthy prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels.
PSA is a protein produced by normal prostate cells that plays an important role in fertility. It’s also used as a common marker for detecting prostate cancer. The reishi mushroom, also known as ganoderma lucidum, has been shown to have anticancer effects, especially in those with prostate cancer. It does this primarily by suppressing the migration and invasion of prostate cancer cells.
Healthy Prostate is another herbal blend that supports healthy prostate gland function. This liquid tincture includes herbs like saw palmetto, cleavers, pipsissewa, and stinging nettle in a base of organic cane alcohol, mountain spring water and vegetable glycerin to help promote normal healthy male hormone levels.
The star of this herbal extract is saw palmetto, which has been used for centuries as a natural herbal remedy to support healthy male urinary and prostate function. Pipsissewa is another herb that can benefit men by supporting normal urinary tract function and promoting anti-inflammation that can benefit the prostate glands.
Male Tonic is another liquid botanical that includes herbs like Asian ginseng, saw palmetto, eleuthero, ginkgo, maca, sarsaparilla, damiana and oat.
The combination of these herbs helps to promote normal healthy male genital tract function and libido. Other benefits include promoting enhanced vitality, energy and focus, as well as normal recovery during times of increased stress.
Eleuthero Solid Extract
Eleuthero Solid Extract features eleuthero, also known as Siberian ginseng, an adaptogenic herb that’s been used for thousands of years for healing. The adaptogenic properties allow it to support the body’s response to stress as well as muscle recovery. Studies show that eleuthero promotes physical stamina and mental alertness as well as recovery from chronic fatigue.
Another study points to the possibility of eleuthero to support healthy testosterone levels in athletes by improving the testosterone:cortisol ratio by over 28%, which indicates decreased stress levels.
Adrenal Tonic combines adaptogenic and immune supporting herbs like eleuthero, gotu kola, licorice, ginkgo and oat in a base of organic cane alcohol, mountain spring water, vegetable glycerin, and honey.
Our adrenal glands are directly involved in our body’s stress response. Adaptogens can help promote normal healthy circulation and adrenal gland function while also supporting normal healthy energy levels, cognitive functioning, increased stamina and normal nervous system functioning.
No matter what stage of life you’re in, it’s never too late to invest in your health and promote longevity and vitality with diet, lifestyle and herbal remedies that can uplift the body, mind and soul.
- Men's Health Month. (2020, May 29). Retrieved from https://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/content.aspx?ID=10238&lvl=2&lvlid=12#:~:text=June%20is%20Men%27s%20Health%20Month,as%20exercising%20and%20eating%20healthy.
- Cancer of the Prostate - Cancer Stat Facts. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/prost.html
- Qu, L., Li, S., Zhuo, Y., Chen, J., Qin, X., & Guo, G. (2017). Anticancer effect of triterpenes from Ganoderma lucidum in human prostate cancer cells. Oncology letters, 14(6), 7467–7472. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.7153
- Sudeep, H. V., Thomas, J. V., & Shyamprasad, K. (2020). A double blind, placebo-controlled randomized comparative study on the efficacy of phytosterol-enriched and conventional saw palmetto oil in mitigating benign prostate hyperplasia and androgen deficiency. BMC urology, 20(1), 86. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12894-020-00648-9
- Eleuthero: How it works and how to use it. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://publix.aisle7.net/publix/assets/nutritional-supplement/eleuthero/how-it-works
- Gaffney, B. T., Hügel, H. M., & Rich, P. A. (2001). The effects of Eleutherococcus senticosus and Panax ginseng on steroidal hormone indices of stress and lymphocyte subset numbers in endurance athletes. Life sciences, 70(4), 431–442. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0024-3205(01)01394-7