Some Like It Hot - Light Your Immune and Digestive Fire
More people are searching for natural ways to keep their family healthy; especially now as we seem to be navigating an endless variety of germs, bacteria and virus. Fire Cider is a traditional herbal remedy for supporting the immune system during the winter season. Fire ciders are warming apple cider antimicrobial fresh produce and herbs. Having this tonic on hand during the winter months is a must!
Fire Cider gets its reputation from its heat and health-enhancing abilities, such as boosting immunity, aiding digestion, and improving circulation. Fire Ciders are oxymels, an herbal blend that includes both vinegar and honey. These are great balancers to the heat provided by the herbs, roots and spices used. Since it is also a tonic, it will help to strengthen and tone systems within the body.
The name “fire cider” originated with Herbalist Rosemary Gladstar, in the late 1970s. This herbal vinegar became a winter favorite of folk medicine. Fire Cider recipes vary greatly as Herbalists around the world reproduce and put their own twist on the warm brew. It is common for Herbalists to make their batch slightly different each year. Letting their creativity flow with the herbs, roots and spices available to them. The finished product tastes lively, hot, pungent and sweet.
The chilly months are the perfect time to turn up the heat, and Wise Woman Herbals’ Fire Cider Tonic is just what you need. Here is the line up in our potent formula and some of their health-supportive actions:
- Onion helps neutralize free radicals with its antioxidant compounds. Aids recovery from respiratory infections with its antispasmodic and antimicrobial properties. It’s anti-inflammatory and antibacterial actions may relieve an upset stomach and gastric related symptoms.
- Horseradish has nutrients and phytochemicals that boost the immune system, promote healthy digestion and increase circulation. This antibacterial root also has high sulfur levels which can help clear out mucus from the upper respiratory passages.
- Garlic is an antibacterial that aids digestion by destroying harmful bacteria while preserving the good bacteria. It’s phytonutrients reduce oxidative stress, enhance immune function, and serve as a cardioprotective.
- Ginger has a long history in traditional and alternative medicine. Most commonly known to reduce nausea. It’s various other health benefits include anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antiviral actions. It is a digestive stimulant, aids indigestion and lowers blood sugar.
- Jalapeno constituents can protect the stomach, fight infection and help with heart health. More actions include anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, circulatory stimulant, decongestant cardioprotective and digestive stimulant.
- Lemon can boost your energy and mood with its electrolytes. Improve your skin and hair with its vitamins (especially vitamin C) and minerals. Antibacterial properties improve digestion and may help relieve respiratory problems and throat infections.
- Cayenne supports immune function with strong antibacterial, antiviral and antioxidant properties. It also helps to ease cold symptoms, reduce pain, stimulate the circulatory system and act as a decongestant
The blend is complete with the base of organic apple cider vinegar and honey. Antimicrobial properties are also present in apple cider vinegar and honey. Two more ingredients to round out a powerful line up of support for healthy immune and digestive functions.
Wise Woman Herbals is proud to provide this ready to use herbal oxymel tonic, in a convenient tincture form. You can easily incorporate doses into your daily routine. Some like the heat straight, while others prefer diluting in water or adding it to oil based salad dressings. Try this delicious Fire Cider dressing recipe:
Fire Cider Tonic checks many boxes when it comes to supporting your health. While it improves various aspects of health, this spicy blend has an affinity for the immune system and digestive functions, offering protection to ward off symptoms of colds, chills and coughs. Stock your cabinet with our Fire Cider Tonic and you’ll be ready to support you and your family’s health through the seasons. This herbal remedy also makes a lovely get well soon gift or brace yourself for more winter/groundhogs day condolences/prizes for your friends or neighbors.
As always, please work with your trusted healthcare provider to avoid any potential discomfort. Some of these strong peppers may need to be avoided with certain conditions or medications.
This blog was written by Meg Ramirez, please click here to learn more about the author.